As Fashion Weeks come to a close braids are being seen everywhere! Sherri Jessee gives us the ultimate dose of inspiration by detailing some of her favorite braids. Follow along below to see her top styles and the steps to get the looks!
FRENCH BRAID FAUX HAWK
1.Lightly Micro Crimp for incredible texture with a Sam Villa Texture Iron.
2.Begin a classic French Braid at the nape of the neck and work toward top of the head.
3.If you desire added height, pin a hair pad to the top of the head and conceal it as you braid.
4.Secure the end of the braid and decorate with a hair clip.
This braid reminds me of the wonderful styles worn by Khaleesi on The Game of Thrones. For added interest, have the braid sweep across the forehead like a bang.
1.Begin at the crown of the head and do a series of French braid corn rows. Be sure to only gather new hair from the top side.
2.Gently pull the braids out to make them appear larger and have more texture.
3.Secure each braid with the tiniest of clear silicone bands.
TWIN DUTCH BRAIDS
This braid is clean and neat and gives maximum control to long hair.
1.Separate the hair from front to back into two even sections.
2.Do a Dutch braid on each side. Begin at the center front and work your way down. As you gather in new hair, be sure to cross the hair under to create the dimension of a Dutch braid.
3.Gently pull out the braid to make it larger and more romantic.
It is easier if you don’t make your braid too tight from the beginning…begin at the bottom and be sure to leave out enough hair at the ends to that you can fatten up the braid.
This is a wonderful braid for brides. You can also twist the braid up to create a chic chignon.
1.Sweep hair over to one side and begin a Fishtail braid.
2.Take a small section from the back on the left and cross it over to the right side.
3.Take a small section of hair from the back on the right and cross it over to the left side.
4.Repeat the process until you get to the bottom.
5.Begin at the bottom and work your way to the top gently pulling out strands to make the braid larger.
THE HEADBAND BRAID
This is a great look to frame the face.
1.Wrap the hair on a 1 1/4” ceramic curing iron to create random waves.
2.Do a Dutch braid beginning deep on one following the hairline. Only take hair from the front side and work your way down to just over the ear.
Rope braids are quick to create and and are great to pull out for texture.
1.Carve in a deep side part and create a traveling rope braid framing the face. For your rope, divide into 2 sections. Hold the hair tightly and twist the left section to the left and then wrap to the right.
2.Repeat and gather more hair each time you twist to the left and wrap to the right.
3.Create a traveling rope braid on the opposite side. This time twist to the right and wrap to the left.
In the latest tutorial from stylist and makeup artist Sherri Jessee, she shows us how to take one style and turn it into 3! Having versatility in your styling is imperative for editorial, runway, and everyday work. Learn a few key tricks to take your look to the next level.
1. Lightly mist hair with PRAVANA NEVO Invisible Control to provide heat protection and curl hair on a 1 1/4” ceramic curling iron.
2. On the top area, create a strong center part and smooth the hair down. Secure with clips around the head from temple to temple.
For bottom area, finger tease small sections...take a few strands of hair between your finger and thumb and push the hair toward the root. This creates an explosion of volume. Remove clips and spray with PRAVANA NEVO Super Shape Hairspray for added texture and hold.
1.Begin with textured hair.
2. Separate hair into two sections from the top of the ear around the head. Pin the tousled hair in the top section into place.
3. Section the hair and clip in extensions, if needed, to add extra length.
4 & 5. Split the bottom section into two and do a loose three strand braid on each side securing the ends with tiny elastics.
6. When finished spray with PRAVANA NEVO Super Shape Hair Spray to secure. You can leave braids on each side or merge them together to create one large one.
7. & 8. For a sky-high up-style, Sweep braids across the forehead and pin to secure.
As a hairstylist and makeup artist, there is nothing Sherri Jessee can't do. Although usually we get to see gorgeous braids and updo's, in this tutorial she is taking us through a beautiful makeup application, perfect for a special occasion or fun night out on the town! Follow along below and be sure to leave any comments and questions in the box below!
1. Eyebrow Powder or Brow Balm. Use an angled brush and brown shadow to fill in and correct eyebrow shape. For extra drama, be sure to emphasize the arch.
2. Shadow Primer. Using a concealer brush, apply a shadow primer like Urban Decay Eden closely to the brow line and over the entire lid.
3. Light Shadow. Cover entire lid with light shade of eyeshadow like “Bisque.”
4. Dark Shadow. Gently sweep brown shade like “Dusk” just over the curve of the eye and blend. This helps emphasize the eyes creating the illusion of depth.
5. Super wear Gel Eye Liner in “Onyx.” Go close to the lash line on the top and line the water-line on the bottom.
6. Accent Color. For more drama, use a flat brush and smudge the liner with an accent color of choice like “Concord” close to the lash line on top and bottom.
7. Pop of Color . Sweep a pink shade above the crease line for softness.
8. Mascara. Brush on mascara to combine your lashes with false lashes. Apply to the upper and lower lashes. Be sure to comb out any clumps for a natural appearance.
9. Lashes. Apply single lashes with a tiny dot of glue and drop at the base of the lashes. When using a strip lash, trim it to fit your eye and allow the glue to dry about 30 seconds before applying as close to the lash line as possible.
10. Foundation. The Temptu Air brush is great for flawless coverage. A spoon works great to cover the eye area. If not available, use a foundation brush to lightly apply foundation...or a powder brush to apply mineral powder to even skin tone.
11. Blush can also be applied with airbrush. Spray lightly from the apples of the cheeks toward the hairline.
12. Contour and Highlight. Apply light tan/taupe shade to the hollows of the cheeks. For more drama, you can also lightly sweep under the jawline, and down the sides of the nose and apply highlighter above the cheek bone, on the brow bone, and on the bow of the lip. Try “Afternoon Delight” Contour Duo.
13. Lip Color. Use a lip brush to apply long wear lip color. Go just outside the natural lip line and fill in entire lip. Allow to dry and add lipstick or gloss, if desired. Shade shown here is “Bridal Rose.”
14. Under Eye. Use a concealer brush to apply a brightening concealer under the eyes. Featured here is “Bye Bye Under Eye” by IT Cosmetics.
For even more tutorials be sure to stalk Sherri Jessee on Bangstyle and check out these tutorials!