Brr! We may have just gone through a warm spell here on the East coast, but truth is that temps will be droppin’ low and staying there soon, rendering our once voluminous locks limp, lifeless and staticky. Combat the winter hair woes before they start with these tips from a pro, PLUS watch our BeautyBreak video to see our fave Beauty at Its Best winners to tame winter hair!
1. DEEP CONDITION. Rehydrate your parched locks with a weekly deep moisturizing treatment like Rusk Sensories Wellness Bedew Hydrating Treatment ($15.99 on Sleekhair.com). It’s stacked with organic tiare, coconut and abssynica oils, plus glycerin to provide maximum hydration.
2. PREVENT STATIC. Indoor heating dries out the air and creates aggravating static electricity. Special ingredients to prevent staticky strands can be found in Rusk Sensories Smoother Passionflower & Aloe Leave-In Conditioner ($22.99 on haircarechoices.com). Distribute a nickel-sized amount through the length of hair before you blow-dry to keep the fly-aways at bay.
3. TAKE A SHAMPOO VACATION. Shampoo as little as possible. Winter makes it easier to stretch a blow dry out an extra day, allowing you to preserve precious natural oils.
4. BOB IT OFF. Cold weather brings with it coats, scarves, turtle-necks and shirts with high collars, creating the ideal time to go with a sassy, above-the-shoulders cut.
5. COLOR GLAZE. Winter’s paler skin tones create gorgeous high-contrast beauty, so now is a great opportunity to darken your hair. Have your professional stylist apply a conditioning color gloss in a rich chocolate. To really turn heads, ask for a brilliant red.
6. ACCESSORIZE. Blustery wind can wreak havoc on your hair. Get control of your coif by smoothing your hair back and securing with a headband, or twist strands into a low side pony and clip on an antique brooch.
7. HAT HELP. A perfect way to stay warm and look fashionable is with a chic hat. With toppers like fedoras, newsboys and berets on-trend right now, you can surely find one to coordinate with your personal style!
Click here to visit Shecky's.
Click here to visit Shecky's.
TIPS BY: Celeb hairstylist Sherri Jessee of Sherri Jessee Salon, Bristol, VA
Sherri Jessee is one of the most sought-after, yet most approachable female educators in the beauty industry with 20+ years of experience as a salon owner, stylist and platform artist. Talents in hair and makeup editorial work combined with a BA in Education make Sherri a shining inspiration to aspiring artists in the business.
With work featured in hundreds of acclaimed print publications as well as online; including OK! Magazine, SOPHISTICATE’S, COSMOPOLITAN and MTV Style, Sherri is a highly acclaimed artist within the beauty industry. Named among top “Women of Style” by MODERN SALON Magazine and listed among Top 40 Platform Artists by Beauty Entertainment Magazine, Sherri is a recognized source for all things beauty.
GIRL TALK TIME: What do you think of these tips? How are you prepping your hair for winter?